Defense Department Delays Obama’s “Transgender” Policy

Jul 6, 2017

Defense Secretary James Mattis announced just hours before a July 1 deadline that he will defer implementation of the so-called transgender policy until January 1, 2018. The Obama-era policy would have allowed incoming service members identifying as “transgender” to enlist if they have been “stable” in their gender identity for 18 months. Such a policy is wide-reaching, applying to use of barracks, bathrooms, shower rooms, and coerced “training” of military and civilian personnel. The Obama policy directly undermines unit readiness as well as religious and conscience objections.

Retired Army Lt. Gen. Jerry Boykin, former U.S. Army Delta Force commander and executive vice president of the Family Research Council, said “the Pentagon is right to hit the brakes on a policy that will fail to make our military more capable in performing its mission to fight and win wars. It's good that the nation's military leadership realizes what the American people realize, this policy makes no sense. The military has been reduced to stripping parts from museums, which is why it makes no sense to spend more than a billion taxpayer dollars on new body parts for anyone who joins the military and identifies as transgender.”

A Rasmussen survey released last week found that “just 23 percent of likely U.S. voters think the U.S. military's decision to allow openly transgender people to serve is good for the military.” Thirty-one percent thought it was bad for the military and 38 percent said it would have no impact.


Read the Press Release and join the conversation on Facebook!

TAKE ACTION